You are here
Stephen W. Teitsworth
Associate Professor of Physics
Prof. Stephen W. Teitsworth's research centers on experimental, computational, and theoretical studies of deterministic and stochastic nonlinear electronic transport in nanoscale systems. Three particular areas of current interest are: 1) stochastic nonlinear electronic transport phenomena in semiconductor superlattices and tunnel diode arrays; 2) complex bifurcations associated with the deterministic dynamics of electronic transport in negative differential resistance systems; and 3) strategies for stabilizing negative differential resistance systems against the formation of space-charge waves.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 089 Physics Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2560
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Harvard University , 1986
- Current research centers on experimental, theoretical and computational investigation of rare fluctuation processes in noise-driven linear and nonlinear dynamical systems that are far from thermal equilibrium. Experimental platforms for studying these phenomena include bistable electronic transport systems such as semiconductor superlattices, tunnel diodes, as well as analog circuit networks. Theoretical work utilizes stochastic Lagrangian methods, while computational work focuses on the direct simulation of systems of linear and nonlinear stochastic differential equations.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Traditional Fulbright Scholarship. Council for International Exchange of Scholars. 1999
- PHYSICS 137S: Energy in the 21st Century and Beyond
- PHYSICS 190S: Special Topics in Physics
- PHYSICS 491: Independent Study: Advanced Topics
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 714: Quantum Mechanics 1
- PHYSICS 763: Statistical Mechanics
- PHYSICS 791: Special Readings
- Teitsworth, S; Neu, JC, Stochastic line integrals and stream functions as metrics of irreversibility and heat transfer., Physical Review. E, vol 106 no. 2-1 (2022) [10.1103/physreve.106.024124] [abs].
- Teitsworth, SW; Olson, ME; Bomze, Y, Scaling properties of noise-induced switching in a bistable tunnel diode circuit, The European Physical Journal B, vol 92 no. 4 (2019) [10.1140/epjb/e2019-90711-0] [abs].
- Gonzalez, JP; Neu, JC; Teitsworth, SW, Experimental metrics for detection of detailed balance violation., Physical Review. E, vol 99 no. 2-1 (2019) [10.1103/physreve.99.022143] [abs].
- Neu, JC; Ghanta, A; Teitsworth, SW, The Geometry of most probable trajectories in noise-driven dynamical systems, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics and Statistics, vol 232 (2018), pp. 153-167 [10.1007/978-3-319-76599-0_9] [abs].
- Ghanta, A; Neu, JC; Teitsworth, S, Fluctuation loops in noise-driven linear dynamical systems., Physical Review. E, vol 95 no. 3-1 (2017) [10.1103/physreve.95.032128] [abs].