You are here
Stephen Lawrence Craig
William T. Miller Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
Research interests in Prof. Craig's group bridge physical organic and materials chemistry. Many of these interests are guided by the vision that important challenges in materials science might be better tackled not from the traditional perspective of an engineer, but rather from the molecular perspective of an organic chemist. Current interests include the design and synthesis of self-healing polymers and the use of modern mechanochemistry in new stress-responsive polymers, catalysis, and the study of transition states and reactive intermediates. These areas require an interdisciplinary and nontraditional mix of synthetic organic and polymer chemistry, single-molecule spectroscopy, supramolecular chemistry, and materials characterization.
Research interests are complemented by numerous teaching and outreach activities, including: (1) hosting intensive undergraduate and high school research experiences for a diverse group of both Duke and non-Duke students; (2) exploiting effective, scalable, and low-cost mechanisms for content dissemination; (3) team-based and active learning content in the undergraduate and graduate classroom.
Appointments and Affiliations
- William T. Miller Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 3221 French Family Science Cen, 124 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1538
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1997
- M.Phil. University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), 1992
- B.S. Duke University, 1991
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Covestro Distinguished Lecturer. Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Pittsburh. 2022
- NC ACS Distinguished Lecturer . NC Section, ACS. 2022
- Schulich Visiting Faculty Lectureship. The Technion. 2022
- Special Creativity Award. Division of Chemistry, NSF . 2020
- G. Stafford Whitby Memorial Lectureship. University of Akron. 2017
- Arun Guthikonda Memorial Award and Lecture. Dept. of Chemistry, Columbia Univ.. 2015
- AAAS Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2013
- Akron Section Award . ACS. 2013
- Arthur K. Doolittle Award. PMSE Division, ACS. 2013
- CHEM 101DL: Core Concepts in Chemistry
- CHEM 201DL: Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 531: Organic Chemistry
In the News
- How to Make Rubbery Materials That Can Take a Beating Without Losing Their Bounce (Jun 22, 2023 | Duke Today)
- NSF Creates Polymer Chemistry Optimization Center at Duke for Future Materials (Sep 1, 2021)
- Duke Celebrates 70 Years of Discovery and Research at the National Science Foundation (May 14, 2020 | Duke Government Relations)
- Big SMILES All Around for Polymer Chemists at Duke, MIT and Northwestern (Sep 20, 2019 | Duke Research Blog)
- The Future is Plastics at Duke Chemistry (Aug 7, 2018)
- Teaching Young Scientists the Elements of Design (Nov 5, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Materials Break, Then Remake, Bonds To Build Strength (Aug 4, 2013)
- Shannahan, LS; Lin, Y; Berry, JF; Barbee, MH; Fermen-Coker, M; Craig, SL, Onset of Mechanochromic Response in the High Strain Rate Uniaxial Compression of Spiropyran Embedded Silicone Elastomers., Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol 42 no. 1 (2021) [10.1002/marc.202000449] [abs].
- Lin, Y; Kouznetsova, TB; Chang, C-C; Craig, SL, Enhanced polymer mechanical degradation through mechanochemically unveiled lactonization., Nature Communications, vol 11 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41467-020-18809-7] [abs].
- Lin, Y; Craig, SL, Oxidative regulation of the mechanical strength of a C-S bond., Chem. Sci., vol 11 no. 38 (2020), pp. 10444-10448 [10.1039/d0sc04381h] [abs].
- Ramirez, ALB; Kean, ZS; Orlicki, JA; Champhekar, M; Elsakr, SM; Krause, WE; Craig, SL, Mechanochemical strengthening of a synthetic polymer in response to typically destructive shear forces., Nature Chemistry, vol 5 no. 9 (2013), pp. 757-761 [10.1038/nchem.1720] [abs].
- Klukovich, HM; Kouznetsova, TB; Kean, ZS; Lenhardt, JM; Craig, SL, A backbone lever-arm effect enhances polymer mechanochemistry., Nature Chemistry, vol 5 no. 2 (2013), pp. 110-114 [10.1038/nchem.1540] [abs].
- Black, AL; Lenhardt, JM; Craig, SL, From molecular mechanochemistry to stress-responsive materials, Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol 21 no. 6 (2011), pp. 1655-1663 [10.1039/c0jm02636k] [abs].
- Wu, D; Lenhardt, JM; Black, AL; Akhremitchev, BB; Craig, SL, Molecular stress relief through a force-induced irreversible extension in polymer contour length., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 132 no. 45 (2010), pp. 15936-15938 [10.1021/ja108429h] [abs].
- Lenhardt, JM; Ong, MT; Choe, R; Evenhuis, CR; Martinez, TJ; Craig, SL, Trapping a diradical transition state by mechanochemical polymer extension., Science (New York, N.Y.), vol 329 no. 5995 (2010), pp. 1057-1060 [10.1126/science.1193412] [abs].
- Juwarker, H; Lenhardt, JM; Pham, DM; Craig, SL, 1,2,3-Triazole CH...Cl(-) contacts guide anion binding and concomitant folding in 1,4-diaryl triazole oligomers., Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol 47 no. 20 (2008), pp. 3740-3743 [10.1002/anie.200800548] [abs].
- Serpe, MJ; Craig, SL, Physical organic chemistry of supramolecular polymers., Langmuir : the Acs Journal of Surfaces and Colloids, vol 23 no. 4 (2007), pp. 1626-1634 [10.1021/la0621416] [abs].
- Kersey, FR; Yount, WC; Craig, SL, Single-molecule force spectroscopy of bimolecular reactions: system homology in the mechanical activation of ligand substitution reactions., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 128 no. 12 (2006), pp. 3886-3887 [10.1021/ja058516b] [abs].
- Yount, WC; Loveless, DM; Craig, SL, Small-molecule dynamics and mechanisms underlying the macroscopic mechanical properties of coordinatively cross-linked polymer networks., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 127 no. 41 (2005), pp. 14488-14496 [10.1021/ja054298a] [abs].
- Yount, WC; Juwarker, H; Craig, SL, Orthogonal control of dissociation dynamics relative to thermodynamics in a main-chain reversible polymer., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 125 no. 50 (2003), pp. 15302-15303 [10.1021/ja036709y] [abs].