You are here
William M. Fairbank Assistant Professor of Physics
Experimental Condensed Matter / Quantum Materials
Appointments and Affiliations
- William M. Fairbank Assistant Professor of Physics
- Assistant Professor of Physics
- Assistant Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: 099 Physics Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-6821
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. McMaster University (Canada), 2010
- M.S. McMaster University (Canada), 2005
- B.S. McMaster University (Canada), 2003
Exploring novel collective phenomena in quantum materials by means of neutron and x-ray scattering techniques; Investigating quantum critical phenomena at extreme environmental conditions of ultra-low temperature, high magnetic field, and high pressure; Materials by Design: synthesis, single crystal growth and characterization of correlated electron systems, quantum magnets, topological systems, metal-organic frameworks, and high-temperature superconductors.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award. ORAU. 2017
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- PHYSICS 264L: Optics and Modern Physics
- PHYSICS 362D: Electricity and Magnetism
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 516: Quantum Materials: Introduction to Solid State Physics
In the News
- Cooking Up Frustrated Magnets in Search of Superconductivity (Jun 12, 2017 | Duke Research Blog)
- From Frustration to Discovery (Feb 17, 2017 | Fields Magazine, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory)
- Sara Haravifard: Physicist Learning About Magnetic Moments (Oct 8, 2015)
- Bag, R; Dissanayake, SE; Yan, H; Shi, Z; Graf, D; Choi, ES; Marjerrison, C; Lang, F; Lancaster, T; Qiu, Y; Chen, W; Blundell, SJ; Nevidomskyy, AH; Haravifard, S, Beyond single tetrahedron physics of the breathing pyrochlore compound Ba3Yb2Zn5 O11, Physical Review B, vol 107 no. 14 (2023) [10.1103/PhysRevB.107.L140408] [abs].
- Pratt, FL; Lang, F; Blundell, SJ; Steinhardt, W; Haravifard, S; Mañas-Valero, S; Coronado, E; Huddart, BM; Lancaster, T, Studying spin diffusion and quantum entanglement with LF- μsR, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol 2462 no. 1 (2023) [10.1088/1742-6596/2462/1/012038] [abs].
- Haravifard, S, Pressure and field: the keys to unlock exotic states in quantum materials, Acta Crystallographica. Section A, Foundations and Advances, vol 78 no. a1 (2022), pp. a208-a208 [10.1107/s2053273322097911] [abs].
- Haravifard, S, Understanding quantum materials under extreme sample environments, Acta Crystallographica. Section A, Foundations and Advances, vol 77 no. a1 (2021), pp. a149-a149 [10.1107/s0108767321098500] [abs].