You are here
Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Nico Hotz specializes in interfacial transport phenomena and thermodynamics in energy technology. His research focuses on heat, mass, and charge transfer on nano-scale surfaces for solar thermal applications, catalytic fuel reforming, hydrogen generation, fuel cells, and electrolysis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: 303 Hudson Hall, Mems Department, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5118
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland), 2008
Interfacial transport phenomena and thermodynamics in energy technology, including phenomena at the micro- and nanoscale. Thermodynamics aspects of photovoltaics, novel sustainable energy conversion technologies, and chemical reactions are an essential part of my research. My main focus in research is the combination of ideas, insights and results from traditional energy technology such as thermal power plants with novel and innovative technologies such a fuel cells and photovoltaic cells based on micro- and nanostructured materials. An essential topi of my research interests is the energetic and exergetic analysis of complex energy conversion and storage systems, especially including renewable and sustainable energy solutions.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Excellence in Teaching Award. Pratt School of Engineering. 2015
- Alfred M. Hunt Faculty Scholar. Pratt School of Engineering. 2014
- New Investigator Award. North Carolina Space Grant. 2013
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award. Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 2012
- Best Paper Award in the ASME Energy Sustainability Conference 2010. Advanced Energy Systems Division of ASME . 2011
- Fellowship for Prospective Research. Swiss National Science Foundation. 2009
- Georg A. Fischer Award 2009. ETH Zurich. 2009
- EGR 95FS: First Year seminar in Focus
- FOCUS 195FS: Special Topics in Focus
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 431L: Heat and Mass Transfer
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 536: Compressible Fluid Flow
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Duke Labs Produce 2 Intel Talent Search Finalists (Feb 10, 2014 | Duke Research Blog)
- New Method for Producing Clean Hydrogen (May 21, 2013)
- Myers, T; Schoebitz, L; Woolley, S; Sanchez Ferragut, J; Thostenson, J; Jooss, K; Piascik, J; Frechette, A; Hotz, N; Stoner, BR; Hallowell, J, Towards an off-grid fecal sludge treatment unit: demonstrating energy positive thermal treatment., Gates Open Research, vol 3 (2019) [10.12688/gatesopenres.12929.1] [abs].
- Real, D; Dumanyan, I; Hotz, N, Renewable hydrogen production by solar-powered methanol reforming, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol 41 no. 28 (2016), pp. 11914-11924 [10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.02.086] [abs].
- Hotz, N, Hierarchical nanostructures for fuel cells and fuel reforming, vol 2015-January (2015), pp. 84-106 [abs].
- Hotz, N; Mohanty, AK; Misra, M, Investigating operating conditions and mechanical performance of co-injected polylactic acid and polycaprolactone, Annual Technical Conference Antec, Conference Proceedings (2015) [abs].
- Real, D; Dumanyan, I; Hotz, N, Hydrogen production by solar-powered methanol reforming (2015) [abs].