You are here
Professor of Physics
Prof. Socolar is interested in collective behavior in condensed matter and dynamical systems. His current research interests include:
- Limit-periodic structures, quasicrystals, packing problems, and tiling theory;
- Self-assembly and phases of designed colloidal particles;
- Organization and dynamics of complex networks;
- Topological elasticity of mechanical lattices.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 096 Physics Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2557
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- B.A. Haverford College, 1980
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Top 5% in undergraduate instruction at Duke University. Dean of Arts and Sciences and Dean of Academic Affairs, Trinity College. 2013
- Top 5% in undergraduate instruction at Duke University. Deans of Arts and Sciences and Trinity College. 2011
- Outstanding Referee. American Physics Society. 2008
- Harvard Society Junior Fellows. Harvard Society of Fellows. 1987
- ISS 293: ISS Research Independent Study
- MUSIC 126: Acoustics and Music
- PHYSICS 136: Acoustics and Music
- PHYSICS 141L9: General Physics I (Lab)
- PHYSICS 161D: Fundamentals of Physics I
- PHYSICS 363: Thermal Physics
- PHYSICS 491: Independent Study: Advanced Topics
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Faculty Council Reboots Campus Conversation on Diversity (Jan 20, 2014)
- Faculty to Begin Conversation on Diversity (Jan 14, 2014)
- New Academic Council Chair Begins 2013-14 Term (Sep 16, 2013)
- First Aperiodic Tiling With A Single Shape (Mar 25, 2010 | MIT Technology Review)
- Zhao, Y; Barés, J; Socolar, JES, Yielding, rigidity, and tensile stress in sheared columns of hexapod granules., Physical Review. E, vol 101 no. 6-1 (2020) [10.1103/physreve.101.062903] [abs].
- Tian, Z; Shen, C; Li, J; Reit, E; Bachman, H; Socolar, JES; Cummer, SA; Jun Huang, T, Dispersion tuning and route reconfiguration of acoustic waves in valley topological phononic crystals., Nature Communications, vol 11 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41467-020-14553-0] [abs].
- Carlevaro, CM; Kozlowski, R; Pugnaloni, LA; Zheng, H; Socolar, JES; Kondic, L, Intruder in a two-dimensional granular system: Effects of dynamic and static basal friction on stick-slip and clogging dynamics., Physical Review. E, vol 101 no. 1-1 (2020) [10.1103/physreve.101.012909] [abs].
- Zhao, Y; Barés, J; Zheng, H; Bester, CS; Xu, Y; Socolar, JES; Behringer, RP, Jamming transition in non-spherical particle systems: pentagons versus disks, Granular Matter, vol 21 no. 4 (2019) [10.1007/s10035-019-0940-4] [abs].
- Wang, M; Wang, D; Socolar, JES; Zheng, H; Behringer, RP, Jamming by shear in a dilating granular system, Granular Matter, vol 21 no. 4 (2019) [10.1007/s10035-019-0951-1] [abs].