You are here
George Barth Geller Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
Dr. Liu’s research interests are focusing on the chemistry and material science of nanoscale materials. Specific topics in his current research program include: Self-assembly of nanostructures; Preparation and chemical functionalization of single
walled carbon nanotubes; Developing carbon nanotube based chemical and biological sensors; SPM based fabrication and modification of functional nanostructures.
Appointments and Affiliations
- George Barth Geller Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 2105 French Science Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1549
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rice University, 1999
- Ph.D. Harvard University , 1996
- M.S. Shandong University (China), 1990
- B.S. Shandong University (China), 1987
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2013
- AAAS Fellows. American Association for the Advancement of Science, The. 2012
- CHEM 311: Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 548: Solid-State and Materials Chemistry
- CHEM 590: Special Topics in Chemistry
- MSEG 591: Independent Study
In the News
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Light-Driven Reaction Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel (Feb 23, 2017)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Li, X; Everitt, HO; Liu, J, Synergy between thermal and nonthermal effects in plasmonic photocatalysis, Nano Research, vol 13 no. 5 (2020), pp. 1268-1280 [10.1007/s12274-020-2694-z] [abs].
- He, S; Ji, D; Zhang, J; Novello, P; Li, X; Zhang, Q; Zhang, X; Liu, J, Understanding the Origin of Selective Reduction of CO2 to CO on Single-Atom Nickel Catalyst., Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol 124 no. 3 (2020), pp. 511-518 [10.1021/acs.jpcb.9b09730] [abs].
- Liu, J, Plasmonic catalysis: Heating vs. hot electrons, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, vol 258 (2019) [abs].
- Zhang, X; Li, X; Zhang, D; Su, NQ; Yang, W; Everitt, HO; Liu, J, Product selectivity in plasmonic photocatalysis for carbon dioxide hydrogenation, Nature Communications, vol 8 (2017) [abs].
- Kim, CHJ; Zhao, D; Lee, G; Liu, J, Strong, Machinable Carbon Aerogels for High Performance Supercapacitors, Advanced Functional Materials, vol 26 no. 27 (2016), pp. 4976-4983 [10.1002/adfm.201601010] [abs].
- Zhang, X; Gutierrez, Y; Li, P; Barreda, AI; Watson, AM; Alcaraz De La Osa, R; Finkelstein, G; Gonzalez, F; Ortiz, D; Saiz, JM; Sanz, JM; Everitt, HO; Liu, J; Moreno, F, Plasmonics in the UV range with Rhodium nanocubes, Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Active Materials: Behavior and Mechanics, vol 9884 (2016) [10.1117/12.2227674] [abs].
- Cheng, Y; Zhang, H; Varanasi, CV; Liu, J, Improving the performance of cobalt-nickel hydroxide-based self-supporting electrodes for supercapacitors using accumulative approaches, Energy Environ. Sci., vol 6 no. 11 (2013), pp. 3314-3321 [10.1039/c3ee41143e] [abs].