You are here
Ivan A. Moreno-Hernandez
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The Moreno-Hernandez lab is a multidisciplinary group focused on understanding electrochemical materials to advance renewable energy technologies and create a sustainable future. Their primary tool is liquid cell transmission electron microscopy, a technique that enables direct observations of the structural dynamics of materials in real time and at near-atomic resolution in a realistic liquid environment. They complement this technique with a wide set of analytical techniques and materials synthesis methods that enable the characterization and synthesis of materials with nanoscale precision. This combination enables systematic studies of the relationship between nanoscale structure and macroscale properties. In addition to their research efforts, the Moreno-Hernandez lab aims to create an inclusive environment that embraces the lived experiences of each group member and provides support for ongoing personal growth.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Office Location: 2214 French Science Center, 124 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708-0236
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1518
- Email Address: email@example.com
- University of California - Berkeley, 2022
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 2019
- B.Sc. University of Nebraska - Lincoln, 2014
Nanotechnology, Nanostructured materials, Transmission electron microscopy, and Electrochemistry
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 590: Special Topics in Chemistry
In the News
- Ivan Moreno-Hernandez: Bold Thinking on Clean Energy (Oct 14, 2022 | Department of Chemistry)
- Crook, MF; Moreno-Hernandez, IA; Ondry, JC; Ciston, J; Bustillo, KC; Vargas, A; Alivisatos, AP, EELS Studies of Cerium Electrolyte Reveal Substantial Solute Concentration Effects in Graphene Liquid Cells., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 145 no. 12 (2023), pp. 6648-6657 [10.1021/jacs.2c07778] [abs].
- Yan, C; Byrne, D; Ondry, JC; Kahnt, A; Moreno-Hernandez, IA; Kamat, GA; Liu, Z-J; Laube, C; Crook, MF; Zhang, Y; Ercius, P; Alivisatos, AP, Facet-selective etching trajectories of individual semiconductor nanocrystals., Science Advances, vol 8 no. 32 (2022) [10.1126/sciadv.abq1700] [abs].
- Moreno-Hernandez, IA; Crook, MF; Jamali, V; Alivisatos, AP, Recent advances in the study of colloidal nanocrystals enabled by in situ liquid-phase transmission electron microscopy, Mrs Bulletin, vol 47 no. 3 (2022), pp. 305-313 [10.1557/s43577-022-00287-5] [abs].
- Yu, W; Richter, MH; Buabthong, P; Moreno-Hernandez, IA; Read, CG; Simonoff, E; Brunschwig, BS; Lewis, NS, Investigations of the stability of etched or platinized p-InP(100) photocathodes for solar-driven hydrogen evolution in acidic or alkaline aqueous electrolytes, Energy Environ. Sci., vol 14 no. 11 (2021), pp. 6007-6020 [10.1039/d1ee02809j] [abs].
- Crook, MF; Laube, C; Moreno-Hernandez, IA; Kahnt, A; Zahn, S; Ondry, JC; Liu, A; Alivisatos, AP, Elucidating the Role of Halides and Iron during Radiolysis-Driven Oxidative Etching of Gold Nanocrystals Using Liquid Cell Transmission Electron Microscopy and Pulse Radiolysis., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 143 no. 30 (2021), pp. 11703-11713 [10.1021/jacs.1c05099] [abs].