You are here
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
My research laboratory uses physics-based computational tools to provide fundamental, molecular-level understanding of a diverse range of biological and soft-material systems, with the aim of discovering new phenomena and developing new technologies. The methods we use or develop are largely based on statistical mechanics, molecular modeling and simulations, stochastic dynamics, coarse-graining, bioinformatics, machine learning, and polymer/colloidal physics. Our current research interests fall within four main themes: genome organization and regulation; polymer-nanoparticle composites; viral-DNA-packaging; and DNA nanotechnology. Please visit our website for more details about each of these research projects.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall, Box 90300, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5435
- Email Address: email@example.com
- New York University, 2007
- Princeton University, 2005
- Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, 2003
- B.Tech. Indian Institute of Technology (India), 1998
Molecular modeling, molecular simulations, statistical mechanics, coarse-graining, machine learning, polymer and colloidal physics, polymer-nanoparticle composites, chromatin biophysics, DNA nanotechnology, viral DNA packaging, single-molecule force spectroscopy, nanoscale transport
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Soft Robotic Dragonfly Signals Environmental Disruptions (Mar 25, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Writing New Recipes for High-Performance Materials (Feb 26, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Predicting Forces between Oddly Shaped Nanoparticles (Nov 19, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Filling an AI and Materials Science Training Gap (Sep 21, 2020)
- DNA-Based Nanobots Earn Duke MEMS Its Fifth DMREF Award for Materials Science (Sep 9, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Layered Liquids Arrange Nanoparticles into Useful Configurations (Mar 26, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Gaurav Arya: Modeling Soft Matter with Hard Calculations (Nov 17, 2016)
- Lee, BH-J; Arya, G, Analytical van der Waals interaction potential for faceted nanoparticles., Nanoscale Horizons, vol 5 no. 12 (2020), pp. 1628-1642 [10.1039/d0nh00526f] [abs].
- Meluzzi, D; Arya, G, Computational approaches for inferring 3D conformations of chromatin from chromosome conformation capture data., Methods (San Diego, Calif.), vol 181-182 (2020), pp. 24-34 [10.1016/j.ymeth.2019.08.008] [abs].
- Deluca, M; Shi, Z; Castro, CE; Arya, G, Dynamic DNA nanotechnology: Toward functional nanoscale devices, Nanoscale Horizons, vol 5 no. 2 (2020), pp. 182-201 [10.1039/c9nh00529c] [abs].
- Tang, T-Y; Zhou, Y; Arya, G, Interfacial Assembly of Tunable Anisotropic Nanoparticle Architectures., Acs Nano, vol 13 no. 4 (2019), pp. 4111-4123 [10.1021/acsnano.8b08733] [abs].
- Ortiz, D; delToro, D; Ordyan, M; Pajak, J; Sippy, J; Catala, A; Oh, C-S; Vu, A; Arya, G; Feiss, M; Smith, DE; Catalano, CE, Evidence that a catalytic glutamate and an 'Arginine Toggle' act in concert to mediate ATP hydrolysis and mechanochemical coupling in a viral DNA packaging motor., Nucleic Acids Research, vol 47 no. 3 (2019), pp. 1404-1415 [10.1093/nar/gky1217] [abs].
- Shi, Z; Castro, CE; Arya, G, Conformational Dynamics of Mechanically Compliant DNA Nanostructures from Coarse-Grained Molecular Dynamics Simulations., Acs Nano, vol 11 no. 5 (2017), pp. 4617-4630 [10.1021/acsnano.7b00242] [abs].
- Root, SE; Jackson, NE; Savagatrup, S; Arya, G; Lipomi, DJ, Modelling the morphology and thermomechanical behaviour of low-bandgap conjugated polymers and bulk heterojunction films, Energy Environ. Sci., vol 10 no. 2 (2017), pp. 558-569 [10.1039/c6ee03456j] [abs].
- Murthy, CR; Gao, B; Tao, AR; Arya, G, Dynamics of nanoparticle assembly from disjointed images of nanoparticle-polymer composites, Physical Review. E, vol 93 no. 2 (2016) [10.1103/PhysRevE.93.022501] [abs].