You are here
Akhenaton-Andrew Dhafir Jones
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Jones' research focuses on addressing global challenges in water and bacteria using engineering and policy analysis. On the microscale this has included efforts exploring how bacteria and bacterial biofilms form and function under fluid, chemical, electrical, and nanomaterial stress. On the human scale this has included systems engineering analysis on how material technology systems can be deployed to increase equity.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 118A Hudson Hall, Box 90287, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8453
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2018
Biofilms, cardiovascular infections, infectious diseases, biomaterials, antibiotics, porous media flows, fate and transport of nanomaterials in biofilms, water quality sensors, environmental systems analysis, environmental equity, environmental justice
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Post-doctoral Student Award. The American Institute of Chemist. 2019
- Young Investigator Award. Montana State University Center for Biofilm Engineering. 2018
- CEE 301L: Fluid Mechanics
- CEE 560: Environmental Transport Phenomena
In the News
- Welcome the Pratt School New Faculty (Oct 26, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Jones, A-AD; Buie, CR, In situ continuous electrochemical quantification of bacterial adhesion to electrically polarized metallic surfaces under shear., Biointerphases, vol 17 no. 2 (2022) [10.1116/6.0001585] [abs].
- Cohen, SE; Hashmi, SM; Jones, A-AD; Lykourinou, V; Ondrechen, MJ; Sridhar, S; van de Ven, AL; Waters, LS; Beuning, PJ, Adapting Undergraduate Research to Remote Work to Increase Engagement, The Biophysicist, vol 2 no. 2 (2021), pp. 28-32 [10.35459/tbp.2021.000199] [abs].
- Medina-Cruz, D; Vernet-Crua, A; Mostafavi, E; González, MU; Martínez, L; Iii, A-ADJ; Kusper, M; Sotelo, E; Gao, M; Geoffrion, LD; Shah, V; Guisbiers, G; Cholula-Díaz, JL; Guillermier, C; Khanom, F; Huttel, Y; García-Martín, JM; Webster, TJ, Aloe Vera-Mediated Te Nanostructures: Highly Potent Antibacterial Agents and Moderated Anticancer Effects., Nanomaterials (Basel, Switzerland), vol 11 no. 2 (2021) [10.3390/nano11020514] [abs].
- Jones, A-A; Medina-Cruz, D; Kim, NYJ; Mi, G; Bartomeu-Garcia, C; Baranda-Pellejero, L; Bassous, N; Webster, T, Statistical classification of dynamic bacterial growth with sub-inhibitory concentrations of nanoparticles and its implications for disease treatment (2020) [10.1101/2020.07.19.210930] [abs].
- Jones, AAD; Xie, Z; Webster, TJ, A hierarchical integration pyramid to increase translation of biomaterials based on recent successes in multiscale synthetic biomaterials research, Current Opinion in Biomedical Engineering, vol 10 (2019), pp. 89-96 [10.1016/j.cobme.2019.04.005] [abs].