You are here
Akhenaton-Andrew Dhafir Jones
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Jones' research uses engineering and policy analysis to help solve global challenges related to water and health. He is a 2021 recipient of the NIH R35 Maximizing Investigator’s Research Award to develop new models and tools for studying biofilms and a 2019 Sloan SEED fund award to develop new tools for point of use water quality monitoring systems. He was recognized as Young Investigator by the Center for Biofilm Engineering at Montana State, the premier center for biofilm research in the US. He received a BS in Mathematics and BS, MS, and PhD in Mechanical Engineering from MIT where he was a Lemelson Presidential Fellow and Alfred P. Sloan MPHD Scholar. He completed post-doctoral training as a Future Faculty Fellow at Northeastern University. He has directly supervised 2 high school students, over 20 undergraduates, 5 MS, 5 PhD, and 2 post-doctoral trainees including 8 from underrepresented backgrounds and 19 women. He and his team have presented at over 40 conferences and seminars. He served as a Pratt Coaching 360 advisor and Duke UCEM Faculty Champion for Civil & Environmental Engineering.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 534 Research Dr., Wilkinson 215, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8453
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2018
- M.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2014
- B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
Biofilms, cardiovascular infections, infectious diseases, biomaterials, antibiotics, porous media flows, fate and transport of nanomaterials in biofilms, water quality sensors, environmental systems analysis, environmental equity, environmental justice
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- 1,000 Inspiring Black Scientists in America. Cell Press . 2021
- Post-doctoral Student Award. The American Institute of Chemist. 2019
- Young Investigator Award. Montana State University Center for Biofilm Engineering. 2018
- CEE 301L: Fluid Mechanics
- CEE 560: Environmental Transport Phenomena
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 701: Graduate Colloquium
- EGR 101L: Engineering Design and Communication
In the News
- Computational Modeling Searches for Weak Spot In Common Infection of Cystic Fibrosis (Nov 30, 2023 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Merging Policy and Technology for a Resilient Water System (Apr 1, 2022 | DukEngineer Magazine)
- Welcome the Pratt School New Faculty (Oct 26, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Andrew Jones III: Expanding Access to Safe, Clean Water (Apr 15, 2021 | Duke Engineering News)
- Childs, SK; Jones, AAD, A microtiter peg lid with ziggurat geometry for medium-throughput antibiotic testing and in situ imaging of biofilms, Biofilm, vol 6 (2023) [10.1016/j.bioflm.2023.100167] [abs].
- Prince, J; Jones, A-AD, Heterogenous biofilm mass-transport model replicates periphery sequestration of antibiotics in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 microcolonies., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 120 no. 47 (2023) [10.1073/pnas.2312995120] [abs].
- Prince, J; Jones, A-AD, Heterogenous Biofilm Mass-Transport Model Replicates Periphery Sequestration of Antibiotics in P. aeruginosa PAO1 Microcolonies. (2023) [10.1101/2023.07.28.551018] [abs].
- Razgaleh, SA; Wrench, A; Jones, A-AD, Surface Energy and Viscoelastic Characteristics of Staphylococcus epidermidis and Cutibacterium acnes Biofilm on Commercial Skin Constructs versus agar. (2023) [10.1101/2023.02.10.527933] [abs].
- Jones, A-AD; Buie, CR, In situ continuous electrochemical quantification of bacterial adhesion to electrically polarized metallic surfaces under shear., Biointerphases, vol 17 no. 2 (2022) [10.1116/6.0001585] [abs].